The GTA Board of Directors typically meet on the 2nd Tuesday of each month (including the Summer), at 6:00pm in Room E3 on campus. Please verify the dates of the meetings on the Calendar.
|Name & e-mail|
Meet The Board
Ms. Lamb has been a board member since 2010 and is a seasoned marketing, advertising and public relations professional with over 20 years of experience in marketing. She posseses a degree in Public Relations and Communications.
Ms. Vaughan is a founding Board member of MIT Academy. She has 50 years of experience in education in addition to a Masters degree in English and a PhD in American Studies.
Mr. Shorter has years of experience working in the field supporting individuals with developmental disabilities with his current position as Executive Director of Golden Gate Regional Center. He holds a degree in Psychology and a masters in Business Administration.
Mr. Guzman has served as Treasurer since 2008 with over 20 years of experience in the accounting field. He received his accounting education from Heald College and California State University, East Bay and currently works for Solano County Health Social Services.
Ms. Wynn Walker joined the board in 2014 and serves as the president of the AAPA at MIT Academy. She received her Bachelor’s in Computer Science with emphasis in computer programming from Sonoma State University and currently works as a Senior Lab Technician at Ausenco LLC and as an Adjunct instructor teaching CIS at Solano Community College.
Mrs. Wesley joined the board in June 2017, but her experience with MIT Academy dates back to 2004 with her twin daughters. She holds two Associate degrees and works for the Napa County Health & Human Services Agency.
Shelbri started attending MIT Academy as a 6th grader after attending Wardlaw elementary school in Vallejo. She has participated in student government, tutoring, and is currently enrolled in summer search. She also attend the Independent Living Skills Program (ILSP) which specializes in helping foster youth through school and achieving independence after foster care. Shelbri plans to bring a lot of attention to the school culture and spirit this year, especially with the current events as of late.
Previous Student Representatives:
|2014-15||Reniel Del Rosario|
Interested in Becoming a Board Member?
When and where does the board meet?
The board meets at 6:00pm on the second Tuesday of the month in room E3 at MIT Academy. Closed sessions (limited to board members) meet immediately after the regular meeting.
Why be on the board?
The GTA Board helps decide the direction of Mare Island Technology Academy MS, MIT Academy HS, and Griffin Academy. As a board member you have the chance to effect chance and help GTA move forward.
What does the board do?
- The board sets and enforces policy for Griffin Technology Academies
- The board oversees all budgetary information, and makes financial decisions
- The board hires and evaluates the superintendent
- The board approves job descriptions, salary schedules, contracts, calendars and other items as required by law.
- Board members sit on TOE hearings (Termination of Enrollment) to decide consequences for students who have demonstrated inappropriate behavior, or have engaged in egregious rules violations
Does time spent being on the board and its related activities count as volunteer time?
Yes, the more time spent on the board means more involvement in activities.
What kind of time commitment is involved in being on the board?
- Attend regular monthly board meetings, including closed session
- Provide points of view and information from personal experience
- Attend special board meetings (numbers vary)
Steps to apply for Board membership
- Attend a minimum of 3 board meetings
- Fill out a complete application
- Interview with board members
- Voted on by board majority